EMPOWERING FAMILIES TO LIVE HEALTHIER TOGETHER
Healthy Weight and Your Child is a 25-session evidence-based program for children with obesity. The program includes a Family Information Session followed by 25 sessions delivered over four months. The family-based weight-management program focuses on nutrition education and physical activity to encourage healthier eating habits and an active lifestyle to reach a healthy weight.
The Healthy Weight and Your Child curriculum is adapted from the most widely disseminated and extensively evaluated child weight management program in the world. Studies have shown the program model is effective in reducing a child’s body mass index and waist circumference, reducing sedentary behaviors, increasing physical activity, and improving self-esteem.
The program is designed with the whole family in mind, engaging a child and adult in education, healthy eating and physical activity to elicit positive change and help families learn skills to live a healthier lifestyle long- term. Evidence shows that child weight-management programs are more effective when the whole family is involved and committed to adopting healthier habits.
TO QUALIFY, A CHILD MUST
- Be 7-13 years old
- Carry excess weight (Body mass index of the 95th percentile or higher)
- Receive clearance from a provider to participate in physical activity
- Have an adult attend ALL sessions with them
A FAMILY-BASED LIFESTYLE CHANGE PROGRAM:
- In-person sessions for child and adult
- Physical activity
- Healthy eating
- Portion control
- Grocery Store tour
- Food label reading
- Internal and external triggers
AN EVIDENCE-BASED PROGRAM
- Over 39 peer-reviewed publications have documented positive outcomes following the program
- Developed by leading child health and weight management specialists using the best available evidence, clinical and government guidelines