REDEFINE YOUR HEALTH, TRANSFORM YOUR LIFE
The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program is a one-year long lifestyle modification program that assists adults at risk for type 2 diabetes reduce their risk for developing the disease through making changes that will improve their overall health and well-being. Program participants learn strategies for increasing physical activity, healthy eating, and losing a modest amount of weight. Research conducted by the National Institutes of Health has proven that programs like the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program can reduce the number of new cases of type 2 diabetes by 58% and 71% in adults over age 60.
- A yearlong program consisting of 25 sessions
- Facilitated by a trained Lifestyle Coach
- Occurs in a supportive group of 8 to 15 participants who encourage one another to stay motivated in maintaining progress towards program goals
- Reduce total body weight by 7%
- Increase physical activity to 150 minutes per week
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE
In order to qualify for the program, you must be at least 18 years old, overweight (BMI > 25)*, and at high risk for developing type 2 diabetes indicated by a confirmatory blood value†, prediabetes determined by clinical diagnosis of Gestational Diabetes (GDM) during previous pregnancy, or a qualifying risk score. YMCA membership is not required. *Asian individual(s) BMI > 22. †Individuals who have already been diagnosed with either type 1 or type 2 diabetes do not qualify for this program. Read our Notice of Privacy Practices Form
KNOW YOUR RISK
- Prediabetes affects 1 out 3 American adults, that’s 86 million people!
- 5% to 15% of individuals with prediabetes progress to Type 2 Diabetes each year.
- 90% of individuals with prediabetes are not aware of their status.
- Find out if you’re at risk for prediabetes.
- Take the Quiz