ABOUT CHILD CARE
The Y provides a safe, enriching place for children to learn and grow, whether through out-of-school time offerings that complement remote school days or through essential child care for parents returning to work.
The Y’s early learning, child care and out-of-school time offerings are staffed with people who understand the cognitive, physical and social development of kids, the support parents and families need and the importance of maintaining a safe, clean environment for children to learn and thrive. At the Y, infants develop trust and security, preschoolers experience early literacy and learn about their world and school-age kids make friends, learn new skills and get help with their schoolwork. Learn more about the Y’s offerings below.
Childcare also offers programs for youth after school and free programs in the community, like Food and Fun at the Park, and Power Scholars Academy.
CHILD CARE & EDUCATION
PROGRAMMING FOR ALL AGES & FAMILIES
FOR YOUTH DEVELOPMENT
Scholastic Book Fair
Our Wilkes-Barre Family YMCA and Greater Pittston YMCA Child Care Departments will be hosting their Annual Scholastic Book fair beginning Monday March 22nd, and running through Friday March 26th, 2021. The fair will be open each day from 9am-5pm.
Find Your Inner Genius
Power Scholars is a 6 week, summer learning program designed to help advance students’ academic achievement through a full-day of challenging math and reading instruction; fun arts, science, technology, and engineering enrichment activities; community and career exploration; field trips; and a healthy breakfast, snack and lunch. This program is offered in partnership with multiple school districts. Check back to this website after March 15th to find out which school districts and program sites are available, and to access application forms.
Check back on March 15th for more information and registration forms.
Food & Fun at the Park
Food and Fun at the Park provides playground supervision and games, a snack and a healthy lunch to kids at 10 locations in the City of Wilkes-Barre and City of Pittston. This program is free and open to all kids using local parks for fun and activity during the summer: no need to sign up or register. Call 570-823-2191 ext. 5041 for more information.
Check back on April 15th for more information.
The 2020-2021 school year is not a typical school year. This year, many School Districts in Luzerne County have created different options for youth to complete their schooling. The Wilkes-Barre Family YMCA will be offering two programs in order to help the Luzerne County youth succeed this academic school year. In addition, the Y plans to provide a personal library to program participants as an added benefit to help students continue to make progress with their reading skills!
What are the A.C.H.I.E.V.E & A.F.T.E.R. Programs?
- A.F.T.E.R. is a before and after school program operating from 7am to 6pm, transporting to and from school. The program offers: meals, homework help, daily STEAM activities, gym time, weekly swim lessons, arts & crafts, and much more!
- A.C.H.I.E.V.E is a program operating from 7am until 6pm daily. Participants will be logged in to their classroom during the required hours and the YMCA staff will monitor them while they are working. Program benefits include: supervised athletic play/organized games & activities, S.T.E.A.M. activities, mindfulness development, meals, swimming, and much more!
A.C.H.I.E.V.E & A.F.T.E.R. Personal Library Benefits:
- All books are chosen to each child’s designated grade level.
- Children will have a library of over 15 books for them to enjoy by the end of the year.
How Do I Become a Sponsor?
- A personal donation of $25 will provide one child with 5 grade level books and a personal book bin. To start, and then one new grade level book a month.
- Contact Ashlee Rittenhouse, Youth Director (E) [email protected] (P) 570) 970-5039 or Lindsay Landis, Development, (E) [email protected] (P) 570-970-5048
Can I Sponsor More Than One Child?
- Yes, you may sponsor as many children as you choose! There are many children in need of reading materials that would greatly benefit from your sponsorship:
- The Wilkes-Barre Family YMCA A.F.T.E.R. Program can serve up to 80 students from the WBASD, WVW and BearCreek Community Charter School.
- The Wilkes-Barre Family YMCA A.C.H.I.E.V.E Program can serve up to 48 children.
**Please note that the A.C.H.I.E.V.E/A.F.T.E.R. Program Participants fluctuate during the school year, and so the need for grade-level specific reading materials continues throughout the year!
The 2020-2021 school year has had many challenges throughout this difficult year, but it has brought many joys as well. In the A.F.T.E.R. & A.C.H.I.E.V.E Programs we have been able to see our program participants grow, not only academically but socially, emotionally and physically. We have especially noticed growth in our program participants’ love of reading. Each day they have reading time built into their busy schedule; a time that they can escape and enjoy a great book! Here at the Wilkes-Barre Family YMCA we have created the LIVE.LEARN.READ Program.
What is the LIVE.LEARN.READ Program?
- The “reward” / “prize” system is used when a child finishes 5 books .They can pick a prize from the LIVE.LEARN.READ. Bin.
Where do these prizes come from?
- These prizes come from you and your businesses!
How can my business help?
- Your business can donate small “rewards” or “prizes” that we can give out to our kids to encourage them to continue reading.
What is a “reward” or “prize”?
- Coupons for free items, small favors from your business, etc.
How does my business get the “rewards” or “prizes” to the YMCA?
- Contact, Ashlee Rittenhouse, Youth Director at (p) 570-970-5039 or (e) [email protected]
- Simply drop the items off to the Wilkes-Barre Family YMCA at 40 W. Northampton St. Wilkes-Barre PA, 18701. Please be sure to put attention A.F.T.E.R./ A.C.H.I.E.V.E.